Sunday, March 8, 2026

Maple Syrup

 We have 2 maple trees in our yard. We bought the supplies yesterday. Tappers, buckets with lids and a drill bit. Set up it late yesterday and got at least a gallon of sap from the front tree. Not much from the back tree as the drill ran out of power and we didn't get the tapper in 2 to 2-1/2 inches. We have enough to start the maple syrup making process. 



Now to read up on the process!

Boil to 219+F.. It takes a long time! 
Had to switch up from a hot plate that wasn't getting hot enough to a propane camping stove. I also boiled more sap that was collected from both trees. Probably another gallon and added that to the sap on the stove. I'm hoping that I can finish a batch tonight. Still at 200+F and boiling off the water. It's slightly amber in color. Once the 219 temp is reached. I need to filter off the sugar sand through a coffee filter into a bottle. Sooo looking forward to having pancakes and homemade maple syrup tomorrow morning. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

A day

 Sauk taking the dock out of the water for the season. Or at least trying to. Nothing ever is easy!! Steve was able to lift all the legs on ...