Thursday, May 16, 2024

Things come in 2's!

 We finished what we could on the deck. Once again, out of paint. To be fair, we only have the leg posts and the long ledger board left to paint. That will most likely take another gallon of paint with some left over for touch ups next year. I'm guessing this will be the weekend's project to finish! I'm ready to move on to getting our garage in order. 


Here's the finished top deck. Even our neighbor commented on the newly painted deck. Their deck is brown the color ours used to be, so not sure they are 100% on board with black, but I think they liked it. 
Just different, but it matches better with our house colors/roof. 


I'll probably skip putting the rug out there this year. I might change my mind, but for now it's good the way it is! The project cost is adding up a bit more then we planned, but still inexpensive fit it project, even if the paint is $45 per gallon and we are on bucket #2, going on #3 to finish it up. To save a bit, we used a Menards rebate and a return coupon. This next bucket is all on us, as we are out of rebates and returns. In all without any discounts the project costs were as follows
Rented sander $50 
Sandpaper 1 at $10
2 buckets of black paint $90, plus need one more $45
1 gallon of stain $40
Disposable brushes and trays $1.25 each (didn't need to purchase/ had)
roller -had and didn't need to purchase
Labor = free
Total = $235 (minus rebate/return money- $60 aprox) 
$175 total out of pocket cost. Nice!!! 
I started this on Saturday afternoon and we still have some left on Thursday. We only worked on it a few hours each day. Steve staining and doing some black touch ups, I did most of the black rails painting. Steve also sanded and I spent a few years scraping all the paint off the rails and deck boards before we were ready to paint. 
This was the before photos. 
I don't miss the brown as I always hated it. It was my idea to paint it black years ago. Glad I finally got to do it. 

Things come in 2's! 
We advertised just in 2 neighborhoods yesterday, less than an hour and I got 2 responses! An email, which I haven't had a return yet, and a call which I got the job and have a meeting today. My goal is to pick up 7 new clients and fill up Steve's work schedule. I'm hoping Steve gets a few calls too. He did have an entire kitchen remodel and a few other smaller project client meetings yesterday. The kitchen will be in the fall, so that's work to be scheduled out a bit. The smaller jobs he can fit in right away and we can keep advertising in the mean time. I'll do more this afternoon probably by myself as Steve is working, unless he finishes early? 

I also had 2 schedule changes this week. It just adds more work for next week, which is already shorter due to the holiday weekend and leaving on Friday to the lake. Plus, with the added work, I also will be cat feeding Saturday- Friday morning. Its going to be a busy week! Which is a good thing! I'll schedule the new work for after the holiday weekend when I'm less busy. Fingers crossed we both pick up more jobs!

Diving has been easy during the day. Not so great at night. Ugh! Ended up having a few candies/ sour gummies. Plus, had a few rolls and a croissant. Not the best choices as we are out of popcorn, my go to snack. 

Yesterday, I advertised, worked, painted, ran some errands and watched Survivor and Amazing race. 
Today, is more of the same, but the gym for a work out this morning, then work, advertising and ? 
A few years ago the sparrows made a mud nest around our front door. The birds are gone and the next is also, but it left behind a mud stain. We are trying to use peroxide to get it out of the stucco. We soaked a paper towel and had it against. We are going to try soaking the stucco in peroxide and see if that also helps. I bought a few scrub brushes to help get out the stain too. Maybe some good old dish dawn soap will work? 


My next home project is the garage/ cleaning it and painting the walls. (paint/ free have some) 
Tar the driveway ($25 per bucket) will need at least 2, Total $50. Plus, the squeegee $10. Labor free. I'm sure we are saving a few hundred by doing it ourselves. Plus Crack fix $25? So $75 total. 

Then we move on to mulch at some point this summer! 
I've also planted seeds. Still waiting for them to come up! I did get 2 new package of seeds from the kids. I sure hope those grow! I have one more package to plant! Maybe I'll get more and put them in the garden? 













No comments:

Post a Comment

Last of the season!!

 We went boating on the St. Croix river yesterday afternoon for the last time of the season. It was a nice 84*F day, kind of cloudy. The wat...