Thursday, March 30, 2023

What have I learned about my weight loss journey after 18 weeks?



 I've now done 3 weight loss journeys. The first I did over 10 years ago in my early 40's. I lost at least 50 pounds and kept it off with running and watching what I ate. Gained a little back and re-did a weightloss journey a year before covid. During Covid I gained all the weight I orig lost 10+ years ago and then some. Ugh! Was not feeling great at all about myself. In fact, I would hide from people I knew so they wouldn't see me at my heaviest. I'd avoided wearing a swim suit because I didn't have any that fit. I wore my cover up and some yoga shorts into the water with a sports bra the last 2 summers. I didn't want to do that again this summer! I was also running out of clothes that fit comfortable without having to purchase more. I was wearing XL pants and shirts and some of those were getting tighter. 

I decided on a Tuesday back in November that I was going to go on a weight loss journey and do it over the holidays. This was right after Thanksgiving. I was finally ready to tackle my weight gain. 

I always need to do very low calories for the first 4 weeks. This was 500 or less some days, but weekends were still more calories around 600 to 700 for the day. I still try to aim for low under 700 calories for the day but it's easier at this point where I'm almost at my goal weight to go up to 900 most days, with weekends 1200 to 1500. I still have belly fat I want to lose. I will keep working on that. 

I orig gave myself until the end of May to lose all the weight. 6 months seems like a good plan to get down to my goal weight. Of course I wanted to lose it all in 2 to 3 months. While I did lose a lot and after 4 months I'm in a good place weight wise, I still have weight to lose. I don't feel like I need to lose it all tomorrow. I am taking it day by day. 

I never felt deprived. If I wanted a donut, I'd have a taste. If I wanted fried food, I'd eat it but on weekends. Drinks I tried to limit to lower cal options or drink less or none at all. Sometimes that would work and others not so much. 

I tried to stay away from negative thoughts about going over calories for the day or making a poor food choice. I'd just get right back on track the next meal or day. It's life, you have to live a little too and save splurges for weekends or special occasions. 

I did stay away from Christmas cookies and candy. I did have a taste or two of some cake and candy, but didn't keep eating it day after day till it was gone. If something was over the top good, sure I would let myself eat, but if it was just okay, I'd stop and not finish. 








Summer 2022. Pretty much my only full body picture. I still need to get any photos from Steve to see if he has other before photos. You can see the weight loss for sure in my face. I was wearing an XL tank and XL skirt. Probably sucking in my stomach too. My arms really have come down in size!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sums up my Monday!

 I had bigger plans to work for an hour on is Monday and after run errands, bank/store, pay a bill all of which I did. I even drove down the...