Friday, January 12, 2024

Friday.. A stormy day and cold weekend!

 So far, no more snow!! It was supposed to start snowing early this morning. So far the big storm is going south of us. It does look like around noon we could start to see snow until tomorrow morning. I think they are still saying 1 to 3" of snow for us. Which is a lot less than down south 6 to 12". The wind and cold are also going to pick up! 


The good old January weather forecast of the next few days. Yikes... we just need to get through Tuesday and then the temps start going back up again! Let's hope that's it for the polar cold snap for the rest of the winter! Just kind of wait and see how this storm /snow ends up. I sure do hope it misses us! I like seeing the ground!! lol.. Our light dusting of snow is just fine and I'd like to keep it that way! 

What did I accomplish yesterday? 

Finished up the misc receipts that were in with my business receipts. Got those all entered. I didn't do a whole lot on taxes after that. I'll work on adding up the receipt totals today and maybe entering all the data on to my spreadsheet. I have all weekend to finish that, so no rush on my part. Other than I'd like to have all the tax stuff done and done early this year. I'll still have the report to finish, which I need to make calls on Monday to get some totals of what we paid out. That will take a bit to do but should be wrapped up Monday or Tuesday at the latest. 

We did 1hour and 20 min of advertising yesterday. Super productive on being proactive! I'm also going to look into placing a Sun current ad. See what that cost and if we can get any business off that. Plus, set up a google listing for Steve's business. I'm hoping we get some calls soon about potential jobs. We did see a lot of home repair workers at various houses while advertising, so people are getting work done! Which is always the case, but December and January are slow months and then spring time everyone wants work done again both inside and out. Thankfully, Steve does have jobs lined up for spring. Just makes me nervous when he doesn't have jobs months in advance waiting. Its just going to take some time and as long as we are being proactive and doing something to get jobs.. that's all we can do at the moment.  Of course I always go down the worst case scenario, which is we have to move. We do have plenty of equity in our house, so downsizing or building our own house would not be an issue. It's just our house is almost 100% paid off in 2026, so after all these years of being self employed 22 I'd like to think we've got this. I go back to when Steve hurt his eye and couldn't work for a few months, and we didn't know the outcome of his vision with all the surgeries and not being able to work through out that first year and every year since a few weeks of not being able to work. So we have the ability at least to work and that's better than the other option. Good thing no surgery is needed this spring. So we don't have to plan for a non-working month. Plus, I have jobs even though I just lose a few for the winter months due to snow birds heading south till April. 

When I did a little advertising in October, I picked up at least 4 one time jobs and 1 that is on going monthly. That was with minimal adverting, with a ad on C.L and some flyers in a few neighborhoods. I in all of a few days of doing flyers Steve picked up at least 3 job too. One of which he is doing next week. It does keep me up at night worrying. I know we are okay regardless for at least 2 to 5 months if needed. I just would rather have job security and know things are lined up months to come. Right now, that's not the case. Pretty much for the last 22 years it's been somewhat up and down this time of year with jobs its either Feast or famine. 

I do have to piece of mind to know that if we need to sell, we can always build with our equity and build something less expensive but just as nice. Plus, have money to pay ourselves and enough left over to build a cabin too without adding additional debt. We should really do that now, but that requires work on our part and finding land etc. I did search for land near by and there are ready lots to bring your own builder. We did find a lot where we could live on site while building, but I doubt these other lots we could do that. We'd have to rent or stay with Steve's parents till we were done building which would probably take a year. Not the end of the world and probably a better financial idea to do something sooner then later. I think we'd just like to take the easy route and have our house paid off in 2 years then rent out. Build a cabin and rent that out too for extra income while we travel a bit. At least we have a plan. Which is fine either way. Life is always full of ups and downs and we just have to ride out this to see where it takes us. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Octoberfest in Brainerd!

 It was a fun weekend. One more done! On to planing the next weekend.  I won the girls Stein holding contest. The time to beat on the wall w...